Are you wracking your brain trying to figure out a nice or cute bowling outfit for your bowling date? You’re one of many.
You might wonder whether you should go casual with skinny jeans, a white t-shirt, and a soft denim jacket, class it up with a dress or suit, or go full immersion with a bowling-style shirt and slacks.
The truth is there is a bowling date dress code, and we’ll tell you all the ins and outs. By the end, you’ll have some practical bowling date outfit ideas you can use to make a memorable impression!
What to Wear on a Bowling Date
Bowling is casual, so you don’t have to dress up too much. A pair of jeans and a t-shirt or polo shirt will suffice in most cases. But if you want to get a little fancier, you can! Just make sure that your clothing meets the following requirements:
- Comfortable: You will be doing a lot of walking, scooping, and bending, so wear comfortable clothing that won’t restrict your movement. Joggers and yoga pants are an excellent option for women, and loose-fitting slacks or cargo shorts are perfect for men. And if you sweat a lot, be sure that your outfit is made of a breathable material, like cotton or a cotton blend (majority cotton).
- Appropriate: You should be wearing a top and bottoms, no matter what the weather is like outside. You also don’t want to wear anything too revealing or offensive. Bowling alleys are typically family-friendly establishments, so make sure your clothing is appropriate for all audiences.
- Warm enough: Bowling alleys are often air-conditioned, so you may want to bring a jacket or sweater just in case you get cold. If you’re not into bringing extra clothing, you can always bowl in layers and remove them as needed.
- Short enough: It’s important that your clothes don’t get in the way. Go for loose-fitting jeans, cropped slacks, or a slim/straight leg. This will help you move more easily and avoid any fabric getting caught under your shoes.
Can You Bowl in a Skirt?
If skirts are your jam, you can wear one, and you can create multiple cute bowling outfits. Just make sure it’s not too short (we’re talking mid-thigh or shorter) and wear shorts or leggings underneath.
That way, you won’t have to worry about wardrobe malfunctions while bowling. You should also avoid bowling in a skirt that’s too long – that would be a tripping hazard.
Can I Wear Joggers to Bowling?
Joggers are a comfortable option for bowling, but they can also be restricting. If you choose to wear joggers, make sure they are made of breathable material and are not skintight.
What Shoes Can You Wear to a Bowling Date?
Wearing bowling shoes is mandatory in most bowling alleys, so you will need to rent a pair or bring your own. Why? Bowling shoes have a unique sliding sole that helps you bowl more smoothly.
Also, if you don’t have bowling shoes, you won’t be able to go to the lanes, where the floor is slippery and hazardous.
If you have your own bowling shoes, they should be untorn and snug. Don’t wear shoes that are damaged or worn out.
And if you’re renting bowling shoes, try them on before you start bowling to ensure they are comfortable. You may need to try on multiple pairs before deciding on the right one.
Note: If you refuse to wear bowling shoes, you will not be allowed to bowl. And if you try to get onto the lanes without appropriate footwear, you’ll be asked to leave the bowling alley.
How to Choose the Right Bowling Shoes
There’s no way to get around the bowling shoe requirement, so you might as well make sure you’re getting cute bowling shoes that fit well.
If you’ve chosen to buy your own bowling shoes, we recommend you do so in person. How your bowling shoes fit can make a big difference in your performance, so getting the right size is important.
When trying on bowling shoes, ensure they fit your foot both lengthwise and widthwise. Considering the length and width will keep you from choosing a shoe that ends up uncomfortable.
The shoes should fit snugly from all angles without feeling too tight. Walk around a bit to ensure the fit works before paying for them.
If you’re shopping online, do your research and read bowling shoe reviews before making a purchase. And always check the sizing chart before you buy.
Bowling shoes tend to run a bit large, so you may need to size down.
But this is not the case for all bowling shoes – that’s why the size chart is your best bet. And if a bowling shoe vendor doesn’t have a size chart, you should pass on them. Following these tips will increase your chances of getting quality shoes that will last.
Do Bowling Alleys Sell Socks?
Some bowling alleys sell socks, and others don’t. Whether your local bowling alley does or not, bringing your own socks is always a good idea.
Why pay for socks at the bowling alley when you already have some at home? Also, you shouldn’t bank on the bowling alley having socks that fit you. It’s always better to bring socks and be safe than sorry.
What Not to Wear When Bowling
There’s nothing more embarrassing than getting to your date venue and being turned away. If you’re not wearing an approved outfit, the bowling alley can refuse service, leaving you and your date without something to do.
To prevent this, let’s look at what not to wear. The following items are typically not allowed in most bowling alleys:
- Ripped clothing – This includes jeans, shirts, and jackets.
- Offensive clothing – This includes anything that is racist, sexist, or otherwise offensive.
- Heels, flip flops, and work boots – These shoes are not allowed on the bowling lanes because they either damage the floor or put you at high risk of injury from falling (or both).
- Hats – Bowling alleys often have a no-hat policy because they can be used to conceal the identity of someone who is trying to cause trouble.
What to Wear if You Want to Impress Your Bowling Date
You might be thinking that, with all the wardrobe rules you need to follow, there’s no way you can dress to impress your bowling date.
But that’s not true! There are plenty of stylish and bowling-appropriate clothing options that will make you look good and feel confident.
Here are a few bowling date outfit ideas:
- A stretchy fitted polo shirt with khaki pants, shorts, or dark-wash jeans.
- A stretch button-down shirt with dark-wash jeans or black pants.
- A sweater or cardigan with a layering tank and pants.
- A short sleeve tunic with leggings or shorts.
- A midi dress
- A cool shirt with a fun message. It could be a great conversation starter.
You probably never thought about wearing a bowling shirt on a date, but it can actually be a great choice! Bowling shirts are comfortable and stylish, and they come in a variety of colors and patterns. Plus, they’ll make you look like a bowling pro, even if you’re not. You can get yours on Amazon – there are women’s and men’s styles available.
Now that you know what to wear on a bowling date, you’re ready to go and roll a few!
So, grab your friends or significant other and head to the bowling alley for a night you won’t soon forget!
This story was written by bowlingforbeginners.com and edited for GoBowling.com. See this story and many others at bowlingforbeginners.com.